[lbo-talk] Women and Chess: Deep Blue Weighs In

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri May 5 07:49:04 PDT 2006

Dear Deep Blue:

You complete faker. You're an obese bulk processor who never taught us a damn thing about AI which was the whole point of building chess programs. You beat Kasparov but you failed the Turing test. That's why no one programs computers like you anymore. You were the ultimate proof we wasted our time.

So the idea of you having consciousness is just contemptible lie.

The new generation of PC based chess programs can not only kick your ass with 1/1000th the processing power but -- much more fascinatingly -- seem to be capable of actual creation. Their algorithms seem on occasion to lead to an "emergence" -- to moves that no one has ever made, and that don't reduce to the underlying rules. Kind of like the way the simple musical algorithms that underlie jazz lead to the emergence of higher level unities. Which makes them them a fascinating model for the mind. And something that can pass the chess version of the Turing test.

(BTW, if anyone's interested, there was a wonderful article in the New Yorker last year on this subject that was never put online but which I've got it in Acrobat format and would be glad to share.)

Mocking you and enjoying the sensation you can never understand,

Michael