[lbo-talk] a Bob Herbert bot

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Fri May 5 09:06:33 PDT 2006

According to Nancy Kruh of The Dallas Morning News, veteran New York Times columnist Bob Herbert has been stuck in a rut for years. "For several months now," Kruh writes, "as I've read one Iraq war column after another, one thought always comes to mind: Um, haven't I read this before? So, yesterday, I finally immersed myself in Lexis-Nexis to try to quantify and qualify this phenomenon."

What Kruh discovered is that many of Herbert's columns during the Bush presidency contain similar, interchangeable passages. She cites a number of examples that make it seem like your average Herbert column is just a random recombination of wording from earlier columns.

Given the paper's recent stock performance and rumblings from restless investors, I thought I'd help the Times find ways to put out the same product for less money. So I spent about fifteen minutes writing software that can generate Bob Herbert columns while using a minimal amount of our Earth's precious resources.

Behold "Automatic Bob", the Bob Herbert column generator:

http://brain-terminal.com/posts/2006/05/02/automatic-bob-herbert

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam