Pioneer Wojtek, was: RE: [lbo-talk] it's inevitable

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri May 5 13:24:58 PDT 2006

Yes, according to the great Freudian chess player Reuben Fine http://www.librarything.com/catalog/228949

But if your read Alex Cockburn (Idle Passions), George Steiner, Vlad Nabokov and Krogius http://www.librarything.com/catalog/897990

And then there is the counter -hegemonic view of Marylin Yalom in "Birth of the Chess Queen" who makes an historical and psychological argument for why the Queen is the strongest piece on the board.

Personally, my belief is that chess is about geometry and spatial computation, and male chauvinism in chess is about exclusion of women from the traditional male enclaves of coffee houses, male clubs, and intellectual battlefields.

JM