Pioneer Wojtek, was: RE: [lbo-talk] it's inevitable

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri May 5 13:51:07 PDT 2006

Michael Pollak wrote:

> And near the end, Alex opines that a much healthier and more adult
> game is bridge, which instead of endlessly replaying the oedipal
> struggle, continually play enacts adultery.

I don't quite get that. Why adultery?

It's hands down my all-time favorite game. First because it's very social; second because it has literally infinite possibilities for play. It's really hard to say there is a "right" way to play a hand; but most of all because as a female I really have a problem with aggression except when it's on behalf of someone else. Bridge is a game that pits one couple against another couple. Therefore when I have to do something terrible like lying (it's allowed) or being super aggressive, I can do it by telling myself I'm doing it for my partner.

Wonderful stuff!

Joanna