[lbo-talk] Chechnya, Darfur, and Jewish Activism

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sat May 6 08:03:57 PDT 2006

a lesson: it's important to be _very_ careful, avoiding even the appearance of criticizing Judaism, Jewishness, or Jews (as such). It's also very important to be conscious of this problems when criticizing Israel or Israeli Jewish nationalism (i.e., Zionism). This is because fools will rush in to accuse you of "anti-Semitism" and because they will receive a lot of attention from the pro-Israel lobby -- and because that lobby is well-organized and does have a lot of influence (based primarily in the importance of Israel to U.S. imperial goals and strategies).

It's strange, I admit, that in U.S. society at large anti-Jewish bigotry (a.k.a. anti-Semitism) is much more taboo than say anti-Black bigotry, anti-Armenian bigotry, etc. But it's true, based on the power of the pro-Israel lobby and the importance of anti-anti-Semitism in shoring up support for U.S. foreign policy.

It's also true that if you side with Israel (for whatever reason, including hoping that it will speed up the conversion of the Jews to Christianity), you can get away with murder, as it were.