[lbo-talk] AJC: "it does not help American Jews to appear to be stimulators of any action against Iran"

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat May 6 09:05:51 PDT 2006

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >It is not fair for Americans to be held responsible for the US
> >power elite's actions overseas, especially considering that most of
> >them aren't even aware of what's going on.
>
> Hmm, I'm not so sure. We do vote for the fuckers, and only turn on
> their foreign policy actions when they sour. There was a lot of
> cheering for the invasion of Iraq until Iraqis started fighting back.
> I think a lot of that "unawareness" is a studied ignorance - a
> shading of the eyes and a cupping of the ears. As the guy says in
> Occupation: Dreamland (a terrific movie, by the way
> <http://occupationdreamland.com>), Americans want their steak but
> they don't want to see how it's butchered.
>
> Doug

Left up to all Americans, though, it would never have occurred to them to start up an invasion of Iraq. And left up to all American Jews, the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza would have ended a long time ago. My basic position is that the leaders of this country, and the leaders of various ethnic/racial groups, seldom ever reflect the interests of their supposed constituencies. (The same goes for trade unions, political parties, and other institutions.)

Moreover, it's about time that we recognize this country's electoral process as plutocratic and oligarchic, rather than democratic.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>