[lbo-talk] Professional "Anti-Anti-Semites" (Re: Chechnya, Darfur, and Jewish Activism)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat May 6 09:40:48 PDT 2006

On 5/6/06, Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's strange, I admit, that in U.S. society at large anti-Jewish
> bigotry (a.k.a. anti-Semitism) is much more taboo than say anti-Black
> bigotry, anti-Armenian bigotry, etc. But it's true, based on the power
> of the pro-Israel lobby and the importance of anti-anti-Semitism in
> shoring up support for U.S. foreign policy.

Also, demanding extraordinary pussyfooting in discussion of Jewish leaders that no one demands in discussion of Arab leaders, Muslim leaders, Black leaders, white leaders, Latino leaders, Asian leaders, etc., etc. is not a way to combat anti-Semitism. For such a demand says, "Jews are special," which is NOT the message one wants to send. IMHO, professional "anti-anti-Semites" can very well be damaging the cause that they claim to uphold. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>