[lbo-talk] Ahmadinejad's "Passive Revolution"? (was Juan Cole whacks Hitch the Snitch)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat May 6 10:42:24 PDT 2006

On 5/3/06, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:
> Hitchens the Hacker; And, Hitchens the Orientalist
> And, "We don't Want Your Stinking War!
>
> Christopher Hitchens owes me a big apology.
<snip>
> full: http://www.juancole.com/2006/05/hitchens-hacker-and-hitchens.html

I'm glad that Juan Cole has changed his mind about a US withdrawal from Iraq.

Cole writes that "The Iranian 'president' is mostly powerless. The commander of the armed forces is the Supreme Jurisprudent, Ali Khamenei." I've heard that before, and it's been true till recently, but I'm wondering if what Ahmadinejad and his backers are trying to pull off isn't a kind of "passive revolution" (cf. Antonio Gramsci): demote clerics without annihilating them.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>