[lbo-talk] Bulletin of Atomic Scientists

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat May 6 10:44:28 PDT 2006

On Sat, 6 May 2006, Marta Russell wrote:

> Bulletin of Atomic Scientists
> July/August 2000, Volume 56, No. 4
>
> Although the evidence for human-induced global warming is still the subject
> of intense debate, the majority of the world's climate researchers believe
> that the process is well under way.
>
> http://www.thebulletin.org/article.php?art_ofn=ja00fetter
>
> If one cannot see the need for population control after reading this, well
> its hopeless LBOsters.

That's a non sequitur, Martha. If population leveled tomorrow, but we left our energy patterns unchanged, we'd still boil in our own juice. Conversely, if we do nothing about population growth (which on current trends is projected to level off at 9 in 2050 IIRC) but drastically change our energy patterns, we'll be okay. Global warming is scary and might be literally apocalyptic but it's got nothing to do with the 1970s fears of "population bombs."

Have you been hanging out with a group of environmental Malthusians lately? This seems to oddly mesh with your recent thoughts on immigration.

For a more left environmentalist take on global warming, you might consider browsing Tom Athanasiou & Paul Baer's small book _Dead Heat: Global Justice and Global Warming_.

Michael