Booze, oh sweet sweet booze, was: Re: [lbo-talk] it's inevitable

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat May 6 14:51:10 PDT 2006

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <wsokol52 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I had in mind was mediterranean countries where
> attitudes toward alcohol consumption are more
> tolerant. Even kids drink. Yet alcoholism does not
> seem to be a big problem there.
>
> I recognize, however, that Ireland and E. Europe are
> good counterexamples, indeed. But keep in mind that
> did not try to explain alcoholism rates. I used it
> as
> an example of my claim that informal mechanisms are
> often more effective in prenventing minor crime and
> delinquency than law encorcement and penitentiary.
>
> Wojtek

I've had about 5 beers myself this evening, so I can't be self-righteous about things. But the alcohol intake level is way, way over the top. (Hey, I wonder if this has something to do with the low male life expectancy.) And it's not in an eniornment that supports it. The father-in-law of a friend of mine got blotto drunk a couple of decades ago, and decided to take a walk. In northern Siberia. In the winter. Without boots. He had both legs amputated.

In countries like France or Italy, the drink of choice is wine. In Ireland or Russia, it is whiskey or vodka. Voila la difference.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!