[lbo-talk] Bulletin of Atomic Scientists

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 6 15:43:07 PDT 2006

Marta Russell wrote:

>Oh man, who said anything about "doing away with a few billion
>people" by "euthanizing" them..? I am really disappointed in this
>cheap shot. Here we go again - the typical LBO shit.

No it's a serious point. The population of the earth is 6 billion, and there's nothing we can do more quickly than a decade to get that down even a bit. If you believe climate change is urgent, then something must be done right now - which means cutting emissions drastically. Population doesn't even enter the picture.

Besides, some of the worst greenhouse offenders are the most thinly populated - the US, Canada, Australia.

Doug