[lbo-talk] America's Anti-Muslim Prejudice

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Sat May 6 15:41:17 PDT 2006

You see, that's where I think you have it wrong, Yoshie. Outside of major metropolitan areas - and college towns - anti-Semitism does exist. I spent eight years living in Oregon, where I encountered it numerous times. Unfortunately, the consequence of the ideological invocation of anti-Semitism, by Jewish conservatives, and the new philo-Zionism of the general American right makes it hard to see.

Nevertheless, as America gets more Christian, Jews do experience it. That is part of the reason why there is a renewed emphasis in Jewish cultural circles to re-identify as Jewish - from more conservative cultural projects emphasizing "Jewish continuity" sponsored by the Bronfmans, to extremely progressive publications ranging from Heeb to Jewschool.com and radicaltorah.org .

Separate these kinds of phenomena out from the growth of left-wing Jewish organizations like Jewish Voice for Peace and Jews Against the Occupation . Sometimes reaching back to tradition - or reinvoking it in pcultural terms - is frequently a response to an objective discernment of growing cultural sectarianism, the Christian version of which is more commonplace in America today.

This is why when I hear third parties who are not Jewish taking such a deep interest in my culture and my politics make such generalizations, it makes me bristle, like I'm being examined through a tourist's eyes. I'm not an advocate of the "you gotta walk in my shoes to know what its like" ethos, but I feel like that when i hear such crazy statements in an increasingly Christian political environment.

Prejudice doesn't have to be an instrument of state policy to exist, or have the capacity to worsen. Even when the leadership of minority communities like mine can get too close to people who truly hate them. It just means you have to be sensitive to nuance and subtleties, and make sure your critical faculties are as sharp as they can be.

If the religious right does succeed in finally closing the gap between church and state, you can be absolutely certain that by default, more traditional forms of institutional discrimination against religious minorities will return, along with a banning of abortion, and the adoption of legislation that actively discriminates against gays and lesbians. its part of the same logic - to deny the existence of one is to deny all of them.

that's the problem with the logic of observations such as "anti-Semitism doesn't exist anymore." and by the way, anti-Semitism, as any of my Islamic colleagues will remind you, includes anti-Muslim racism.