[lbo-talk] Bulletin of Atomic Scientists

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun May 7 09:41:44 PDT 2006

Marta Russell wrote:

>>China's consumption may be increasing 3 times faster than the US,
>>maybe more, I'd have to look it up but
>>they don't use anywhere near what the US does. The US uses 4 times
>>as much as China.
>>
>>John Thornton
>>

>But isn't the point that they will eventually use as much given
>their population?

China's population is now 1.3 billion, and growing at 0.6% a year. Getting pop growth down that low has been a pretty remarkable achievement; the world is growing at a 1.2% annual rate, and India, at a 1.4% rate. But I really don't know what you intend by introducing China's population as a crucial issue: even if it were reduced by a quarter, it would still be 972 million. That would have only a marginal effect on China's ecological impact - and it would take decades of draconian polcies. And while we were at it, we'd have to relieve the earth of several hundred million of our 1.1 billion Indians as well, wouldn't we? If we have 10 or 20 years to do something serious about climate change, population doesn't even enter into the picture.

Doug