[lbo-talk] Bulletin of Atomic Scientists

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 09:54:40 PDT 2006

Maybe this has been said already in the later discussion, but three points:

1) There are real Malthusian crises, but these are the results of the combination of population increase and the structure of social organization. Jared Diamond gives good examples of these propositions in his book Collapse, e.g., the Rwandan disaster, the Mayan empire, several Polynesian societies. Very densely populated societies like Belgium can be very well off for almost everyone.

2) Malthus' idea, that population necessarily outruns food production, has been overwhelmingly refuted by the last 200 years with its vast increase in population and even vaster increase in agricultural productivity

3) It seems true that the carrying capacity of the earth ecologically speaking will not support a bourgeois Western lifestyle with two SUVs in every garage, suburban housing with cars, strip malls, individually owned everything, and consumption of energy at current levels. Even if we can generate enough power and do not run out of nonrenewable resources like oil, global warming is a real threat.

But this problem will not be solved by reducing population or reducing the rate of increase of population -- that might slow the effects but we are getting the problems right now. We need to change our expectations, not necessarily lower them, but change them. Use more public transit, rely on low-emission renewable resources, concentrate jobs near residences, promote communal use of tools like washers and dryers (people do this in cities as it stands).

The likelihood that any of what is needed will happen in time to avert collapse -- not revolutionary transformation, just collapse -- does bot seem very high. Or maybe I'm just being depressive.