[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 13:15:36 PDT 2006

Absolutely. I would actually contend that the language of Sein und Zeit is almost sublime in its Aristotelian working out the roots of language (I think he was deliberately copying A's playfulness with the Greek language).

I think Heidegger is best seen in his lectures. My God, what was it like taking a class from that guy? When I read his WORD BY WORD interpretation of Aristotle's Metaphysics Theta 1-3 I was unable to believe that this was done by a human being, more likely an alien with 400 IQ and a five-foot from Andromeda. The brilliance is almost phantasmagoric in its majesty. Ditto for his lectures on the Gospels.

In short, that guy was smart. Without him, the intellectual history of the last 100 years would be deeply impoverished. In fact a quarter of it wouldn't exist.

Sein und Zeit is one of the first books of philosophy I still have. I sold most of them whan I moved from the States, but that one there's no way I can live without. I have to reread it, for like the 10th time now. ;)

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually Heidegger's post Being & Time writing is
> _really_ beautiful German. The translations do not
> do
> him justice, nowhere near.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!