[lbo-talk] Juan Cole whacks Hitch the Snitch

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 13:55:07 PDT 2006

I didn't know I was a bete noire, but I think something of this is tied into thinking that a person in the CIS who has positive feelings toward Stalin is somehow comparable to some nut waving a Stalin portrait in a demonstration in San Francisco.

It's not. Old people here actually lived through the Stalin era. They were in the War. They lived through the Seige of Leningrad and the Battle of Stalingrand. Stalin was their hero -- the battlecry was "Za Rodinu, za Stalina!" (For the Motherland, for Stalin!"). They were shot at by fucking machine-guns and had their villages burned to the ground and all the women in their families raped and they sometimes lived via cannibalism. And they saved civilization while they were at it. Good God, how could a little small-minded amoral prick like Pug possibly understand that? His major complaint seems to be something like "oh no, those people in the CPSU said bad things to me once, my feelings got hurt, boo-hoo, boo-hoo."

Come to think of it, Victory Day (the main Russian holiday, celebrating the end of the Great Patriotic War) is tomorrow. I will spend the day thinking solemn thoughts and smiling with gratitude at all the old men wearing their Soviet medals I pass on the street.

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote: Whenever your bete noir, Chris Doss, mentions, even in passing, that the peoples of the CIS have mixed feelings about the Stalin era we can look forward to an avalanche of URIs about Stalin's crimes.

As if we don't know.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!