[lbo-talk] Pug The Slug

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun May 7 16:52:30 PDT 2006

Big overreaction, and Doug succumbed too easily, IMO, to the necktie party which had formed. I disagree with MP on many things and I still haven't decided whether he is deliberately or just innocently provocative, but I could say the same about a lot of people I've clashed with politically over the years. So what? We should be wary of circumscribing the boundries of "permissable" political opinion so tightly; we're not in a life and death struggle against a counter-revolution, and even if we were, history suggests revolutions can too easily strangle themselves through the overzealous pursuit of heretics. Michaels's "crime" was to align himself with some oleogenous critics of Yoshie and Juan Cole and it was proper for to call him to order on that, as I and others did. Then we should have moved on to more important things rather than getting involved, as we used to tell our son when he'd throw a fit, in "a game of uproar".