[lbo-talk] Bulletin of Atomic Scientists

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sun May 7 19:35:55 PDT 2006

> Marta Russell wrote:
>
> >If the Chinese develop into a middle class country where millions
> >more people can afford to buy SUVs, that will definitely have an
> >impact on energy use and emission output.
>
> I completely agree that the whole world can't live US-style, and that
> the world can't survive the US living US style indefinitely.
> Technology and daily life will have to change a lot, and it's hard to
> get optimistic about that happening.
>
> Doug

I think we agree. If you mean that poor people have to stay in peasant huts and properous workers and the middle classes have to move into peasant huts .. but you've never given any indication of thinking that way. I suspect you mean that U.S. can't drive giant pensis instead taking trains indefinitely and that the rest of the world can't afford to adapt them - which is true. But as you know from Manhattan, a decent public transit system that gets you where you want to go as quickly as an automobile is as attractive a technology as an automobile.

Actually some of the train systems I favor look more like dicklike than cars do.I suppose painting them some shade of flesh color would be too obvious; but possibly a good marketer could do something with the fact that they are bigger than automobiles/SUVS and can keep thrusting tirelessly forward longer.