[lbo-talk] a Bob Herbert bot

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon May 8 07:20:50 PDT 2006

>From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com>
>
>On Fri, 5 May 2006, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>>The most amazing thing about this is that someone took the trouble to read
>>all those Bob Herbert columns. God, is he dull.
>
>It's true. But always when I'm about to put him on permanent skip (instead
>of skim) he does something to make me like him again simply for having his
>heart in the right place.

I've written to Herbert a couple of times in recent years thanking him for a great column, and I have never thanked any other NYT columnist apart from long-retired Russell Baker. Herbert isn't a flashy writer, but he often seems an oasis of lucidity and decency amid the arid wastes of the rest of the op-ed page.

Carl