[lbo-talk] America's Anti-Muslim Prejudice

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon May 8 11:32:58 PDT 2006

On 5/8/06, Joel Schalit <managingeditor at tikkun.org> wrote:
> I don't think that's fair, Yoshie. The situation is a lot more
> complicated than that. By blaming the left's problems about talking
> about Islam on the high preponderance of Jews within the left, you
> over-generalize and make the kind of statements that lead people like
> me to say that there are prejudicial elements in the ways that you
> talk about Jews.

That's not my point. I'm saying that there isn't much of a problem of anti-Semitism among leftists (if there is any at all), due in part to the presence of Jewish leftists of all varieties _inside_ the left, but that there is a problem of anti-Muslim prejudice, due in part to the dearth of Muslims among leftists. Another reason is that the Jewish identity for many (most?) Jews has become more of a cultural identity, whereas the Muslim identity for most Muslims is still a religious identity, and religious thought and secular leftist thought don't mix well. Yet another reason is language: I'm illiterate in most foreign languages (except French) in which Muslim thinkers overseas may express themselves (this problem also applies to the dearth of secular Arab thoughts published in US left publications), and so are most leftists (except scholars like Juan Cole); whereas many Jewish Israeli thinkers can and do write well in English, easing their publication here. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>