[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger (and other responses)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 14:39:33 PDT 2006

Yeah, I thought that was pretty harsh too. "Your intellectual hero is someone I don't get! You bad, bad, evil person you! You are beneath contempt!" Jeeze. And Jerry was so smart on the Stalin thing. I mean, I'm not a fan of Adorno (by far), but I don't think Dennis is some kind of evil moron.

I have definitely overposted, so I'll respond to Jerry tomorrow on democracy (I largely agree with him and think he made some fascinating points -- his knowledge of classical history is much greater than mine, I can barely remember how to decline Greek nouns).

Chris "Heidegger fan, studied him for six years, thinks Sein und Zeit is one of the most brilliant, revolutionary books ever written" Doss ;)

--- ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:
> I hear a lot of contempt for the thinking of
fundamentalist Christian's
> from most of my fellow intellectuals, but nothing
can match the wilful
> stupidity of those who actually think that Heidegger
has anything at all
> to contribute to intellectual culture.

This is a mean-spirited attack on those of us who have already expressed interest in or respect for Heidegger. You may be entitled to your bitterness over having had to read Heidegger (just as I might be bitter over my wasted years learning Science) but does that justify the gratuitous insult?

Nu, zayats, pogodi!