[lbo-talk] History of the label Progressive

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Mon May 8 16:14:17 PDT 2006

Wasn't the term originally used in the first decade of the twentieth century to describe the liberal wing of the Republican Party [Teddy Roosevelt, the Lafolletes, Hiram Johnson etc]? "Progressive" was the name given to the left wing third party which ran Henry Wallace {Former Republican and Secretary of Agriculture under FDR] for President against Truman in 1948. In the decades after that election I would certainly agree that the usage below was the dominant one - particularly among the CPUSA oriented milieu. Nowadays it seems to basically mean what the term "liberal" used to mean. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: info at pulpculture.org