[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger (and other responses)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 21:24:49 PDT 2006

You can wrath and contempt for Heidegger or Schmitt as a Nazi without thinking that this personal, political, and moral failing makes their thought worthless. The assertion that X was a a Nazi, therefore his ideas are crap, is an ad hominem. Granted, being a Nazi raises question about one's judgment that requires attention to the philosophy or political thought to determine whether the author's affiliations, poor judgment, or wickedness irreparably damage the ideas.

I note here that that this is not a mater of the ideas being wrong; being wrong is no disgrace in a thinker as long as he is fruitfully wrong. But there are so-called thinkers whose allegiance to vile ideologies makes their thought into mere propaganda, worth only the historian's attention. Rosenberg, among the Nazis, copies to mind; lots of Stalinists too (e.g., Zhdanov), and many bourgeois economic and political writers.

But the effect of bad allegiances on thought requires independent evaluation of the thought, if not the person. And I venture to say that most philosophers have had bad political allegiances, starting with Plato. Few have been as bad as Heidegger's, but in my view the connection between Nazism and Heidegger's thought is at an abstract enough level -- basically anti-modernism, Germanocentism, and nature-worship -- as to exculpate the thought if not the man of the worst of Nazism.

The thought is not overtly or by implication antisemitic; the philosophy is no justification of war or mass murder -- technological processes of the the precise sort that are the object of Heidegger's critique of modernity, which shares a lot with the middle Frankfurt School insofar as I understand, e.g., The Eclipse of Reason.

One may object to Heidegger's anti-modernism, his anti-Enlightenment attitudes, his contempt for democracy, etc. But he can't be blown off as a philosopher merely because he was (apparently to the end) a loyal Nazi.