[lbo-talk] Retreat into Racism (was Krugman on conspiracy theories, right & left)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon May 8 23:42:55 PDT 2006

On 5/8/06, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> posted:

> The New York Times
> May 8, 2006
>
> Op-Ed Columnist
>
> Who's Crazy Now?
>
> By PAUL KRUGMAN
<snip>
> When the Iraq venture comes to a bad end, they won't blame those who
> led us into the quagmire; they'll claim that it was all the fault of
> the liberal media, which stabbed our troops in the back.

They probably will, but I suspect that they will mainly retreat into racism: "Iraqis were incapable of -- or were not ready for -- democracy." And that racism will probably be shared by a sizable number of Americans beyond the hard Right. They won't admit that if America were a democracy, it would never have invaded Iraq, nor would they concede that what Washington wanted to export to Iraq was not democracy (which it doesn't practice at home either) but American-style capitalism and a pro-Washington and pro-Tel Aviv government.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>