[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 11:58:36 PDT 2006

No irony -- you have about exhausted the list. Pretty pathetic for 2000 years. You left off Lucretius, btw. And Hegel, whether death, or willingness to risk life, plays a role in the MS dialectic; or Hobbes, where the fear of fear plays a role in the political theory -- but not in reflections about the meaning of life, There is as well as Nietzsche which is one reason why Heidegger liked Nietzsche). I said "little" attention, not "no" attention. Spinoza actually said that a wise man does not think about death.

For the rest, modern philosophy has little to say compared to Heidegger. And the medievals and the counterreformation -- well, they of course are concerned with salvation, so their interests are a bit different from those of materialists. I went to Catholic school, so I got a pretty good exposure to Loyola, at least as interpreted by the nuns. I'll take Heidegger any day.

Now, if you don't find Heidegger's thoughts about death useful, that's another matter. But something tells me that nothing I could say would make any difference to you on this or any other point concerning Heidegger. You rely on the usual bad translations and do the Carnap thing of picking out odd-sounding statements and making fun of them without even the slightest effort to understand them. It did not reflect well on Carnap (whom I like) either.

I really take H's the main point about death, to put it in plain English, to be that the fact of our mortality is the central issue in the life of a human being -- not merely something one has to come to terms with and learn to accept,a s it were, philosophically, as the Stoics taught, or as a gateway to heaven or hell, as Christian dogma, but as the fundamental structuring fact about the lives of mortal beings that influences, or ought to influence, everything in our lives. His revulsion against everydayness and losing yourself in business comes from this, as does, I think, his reaction (literally and figuratively) against modernity, which he thinks promotes mere business and forgetfulness of the fact that for each of us our days are numbered. And it is what is behind his idea of truth as Alathea, openness to the world. This is putting it somewhat simplistically. There is actually some point to H's technical vocabulary, which is much better in German, really. All of this becomes keener as you get older. I'm 48, and at my back I always hear Time's winged chariot hurrying near. If that all strikes you as banal rubbish, read again it when you're older. I didn't like him when I was in college either.