[lbo-talk] The war on contraception

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue May 9 13:04:18 PDT 2006

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Doug Henwood wrote:

> [The thumpers are going after contraception now!]

IMHO, to switch the battleground from abortion to contraception would be the best thing that could possibly happen to our side. Not only are the vast majority with us (80% of Catholics are for contraception for crissakes) it would reverse the entire perspective in our favor. The reason we think so fuzzily about abortion is bacause in our world it's a background to contraception -- not something we want specifically, but an ultimate backdrop we need for contraception to provide peace of mind to provide the right to enjoy sex -- a very popular thing to before. It's hard to fight our way back there from babykilling -- it just makes us seem more callous. But if they start there, it's like a slow pitch up the middle.

And we don't need for them to make it a focus. We just need for them to come out for it a little bit thanks to their current hubris. And then make this our focus point from now on and hammer away.

Which is precisely what NARAL and people like Jenny's group have been doing. And hallajuh, the other side is rising to the bait.

I wonder if we could write referenda about Plan B?

Michael