[lbo-talk] America's Anti-Muslim Prejudice

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue May 9 17:07:37 PDT 2006

Joel Schalit wrote:

> Hey Marvin,

> I agree with you completely. Barghouti will eventually be released, from
> what I hear. He's considered a "bargaining chip", and will be let loose
> when the Israelis believe its time for a leadership change, so to speak.
>
> Just to clarify vis Abunimah, he's not a two state guy. His argument is
> that a one state solution is the only realistic one, and is, for all
> intents and purposes, already in effect through the Occupation.
========================================== Right you are, Joel. I understood that, and was agreeing with Yoshie's point about him being unrepresentative on that account. He and others do have a point, however, in suggesting that there is already de facto a single "apartheid" Greater Israel and that what is currently on offer is not really a two-state but a "bantustan" solution. If the Israelis had decided not to withdraw from the Palestinian areas, the logic would point to a South African-style struggle for civil rights within that unitary framework. However, as we know, the Israelis, except for the settlers and what is left of Likud, have indicated they will withdraw from the Palestinian areas precisely to escape the demographic and democratic dilemmas which remaining there would involve for them. So the only real road aparently now open to the Palestinians - and it is a sad and difficult one - is to try and make their future land-locked "independent" state as viable as possible in negotations with the Israelis. The Israelis think this objective will eventually bring Hamas or whoever else is in power to the table after they withdraw, especially if they threaten the population with continued economic misery if they do not follow their script.

Thanks for the info about Barghouti. He would play the Mandela role if the Israelis. like the Afrikaaners, were serious about a lasting resolution. Unfortunately, the internal and external pressure on the Israelis to settle doesn't seem as strong as it was on the white South Africans.