[lbo-talk] Alternatives to libertarian attitudes in tech journalism?

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Tue May 9 18:26:00 PDT 2006

kevin island wrote:
> Could anyone point me to tech writers who eschew the usual libertarian
> biases? I'm especially interested in people commenting on net
> neutrality and the wider availability of broadband access.
> (Vint Cerf and Tim Berners-Lee expressed sympathy with net
> neutrality, but they seem to issue their views from a fairly
> lofty plane: http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/132.)

I'm sure you know these guys, but just in case...

Richard Stallman has impeccable tech credentials. He founded the successful Gnu, which uses direct action for various tech issues. He's essentially a left-liberal in US terms. http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=9350 http://www.stallman.org/rss/rss.xml http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

Larry Lessig is a Stanford law prof (lawyer-producing lawyer), very qualified. http://www.lessig.org/ http://www.archive.org/details/LessigAtSwarthmore

Bob McChesney is the best historian of US media I know. His radio show has interesting guests who occasionally discuss net neutrality. However, he's not really about tech, but rather the wider context of media... really points out how media filters work, what biases the "unbiased" press hold, etc. http://www.will.uiuc.edu/am/mediamatters/ http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/2427/

Incidentally, if you want to read Bernays' _Propaganda_, I hear it might be available from a bittorrent site... if it's legal in your nation. Comes to mind because McChesney spoke of the ability for politicians to censor things by simply not talking about them, which Bernays covers. http://www.pentaside.org/article/propaganda-bernays-1928.html

Slashdot is pretty much the hub of serious tech journalism. People love deriding it, but whatever. http://slashdot.org/

Tayssir

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman3/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com>