[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 05:37:04 PDT 2006

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
>First of all, since Justin introduces age below, I'm a couple months
>from my 76th birthday, and come from a family that usually makes it to
>around 84 -- more distressingly sometimes makes it well beyond 84 but
>not in good mental health.
>
>And I think death is no big deal -- or, rather, one's own death is no
>big deal, since the dead don't know they are dead.

Death may be no big deal; it's the prospect of of a long twilight existence "not in good mental health" that is terrifying. My father died of Alzheimer's disease, and I cannot imagine a worse end. Frankly, I think we were better off in the era of cigarette smoking, when you had a good chance of dropping dead in your tracks from a heart attack.

Carl (56)