[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger/What to Read

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 07:05:59 PDT 2006

For a layperson, you read whatever strikes you as useful and interesting -- there are no rules that you have to read any philosophers or any particular ones. I don't find Derrida worth the effort, although I'm told by trustworthy people that there's good stuff there; I find Husserl and classical phenomenology boring, a lot of analytical philosophy is irritating and of that stuff I only read what I have to to do research I am doing; I don't care for Dummett or Dennett; I read very little medieval philosophy, and haven't looked at Spinoza in years. I think classical epistemology is a waste of time, as opposed to philosophy of science; I am not interested per se in philosophy of language, never have been; and avoid most modern metaphysics. I used to read (and do) a lot of philosophy of mind, that was my dissertation subject, but I don't any more. I read a lot of philosophy of law, which is a professional interest, and mainly think about political philosophy, philosophy of social science, and jurisprudence, some ethics. I read pragmatism and Marxism, mostly Marx and Engels, some Hegelian Marxists, a lot of Hegel, Mill, some Nietzsche. Lately I have been reading Bernard Williams and Raymond Geuss -- old teachers who write well about topics that interest me, both connected ti my interests and not. This is just a short random list of my own prejudices reflecting my own attitudes and needs. Every person with a remote interest in philosophy has to develop his own.