[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed May 10 09:28:36 PDT 2006

andie nachgeborenen : Still misses the point. H is not a stoic or some such talking about how to overcome fear of death. Fear of death is not his interest. (Unlike, for example, Hegel, in talking about master and slave.) It's rather more like, given that we get one short trip, 70 years (a prize for anyone who can identify the quotation), the way we live, immersed in busy-ness and every-dayness, enmeshed in merely instrumental action, is -- he wouldn't put it this way -- against our interest. Bad.

^^^^^ CB: Surely he gives us a hint at what would be the better way to live. What are more of the details of a life not enmeshed in instrumental action ?

^^^^

The source of the quotation above is actually pretty good on thsi, though its focus is a bit different from H's.