[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 11:09:33 PDT 2006

Jerry, it's really not worth pursuing this, as I said to you offlist yesterday. Obviously you don't find Heidegger useful or interesting -- fine, don't read him. If you think what I find useful or interesting in him is banal, I don't care, I'm a pragmatist -- I think a lot of important truths are banal, like democracy is better than the alternatives, freedom better than slavery, etc.

I am not a Heideggerian; it has been probably 17-18 years since I seriously read Heidegger at all, and I was trained as an analytical philosopher of science anyway; almost all my writing has been in that tradition, including a number of analytical Marxist-style papers on Marx. It's just that as former student of Rorty and sometime Marxian I have more interest in and sympathy for continental philosophy than most people with my background. These days that is pretty much confined to Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche, and bit of the Frankfurt School, vita brevis, as H would remind us.

But anyway, since we are not going to persuade each other and since the discussion does not strike me an constructive or illuminating for anyone else, I hereby bow out. Please also don't get your back up about this discussion, no one has said anything personal to you.

jks