[lbo-talk] Waht is scientism why does the leff love it so?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Wed May 10 13:10:24 PDT 2006

At around 10/5/06 3:37 pm, Chuck Grimes wrote:
> CB: Evidently, Feyerbend described science as being essentially anarchistic.
>
> <...>
>
> In the above sense, then yes Feyerbend at one point was very much
> anarchistic in his attack on science based on authority rather than
> empiricism. Authority in this particular case can be understood as
> only entertaining work that strictly follows the `scientific
> method'. This is part of reason why he titled one of his works, Against Method.

Chuck,

Good points. I would add this: PKF described scientific progress (just as any other progress) as, (and he was in favour of) epistemological anarchism, or as he put it "anything goes". He was not an anarchist in the political sense: Killing Time, his autobiography, has some interesting bits on being at UCB during the student protest years.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/