[lbo-talk] SurvivaBall saves managers from annoying climate change

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 20:41:56 PDT 2006

the people they appear in front of aren't really the left-leaning indy film crowd. and the people they fool are unlikely to make a big public thing out of it because in many cases they are the ones who invited them--and it would give publicity to the Yes Men's cause. Except for suiing them or giving them a good spanking (or having them knocked off) it seems unlikely that their marks will willingly participate in giving them publicity. It really is a great set up. On the other hand, it makes it unlikely that they will make a big impact. The DOW stunt a few years ago (and of course the GWBush website and the BLO) were pretty public, but stunts like this, where they actually appear in person, are fairly small.

I am more interested to know why the outlandish proposals they invent aren't so completely a-typical for the venues they choose. In other words, why aren't people's BULLSHIT detectors going off when something like the SurvivaBall is presented in this forum. Are there proposals that are similar? Does every conference they attend have this level of the fantastic to it? Or is it just a matter of totally believing (or wanting secretly to believe or at least quietly sitting through) what the speaker is saying based solely on the credentials after their name? Totally speculation on my part either way. I wish they'd hand out surveys afterwards. Unlikely to yield any honest answers, but would be great nonetheless.

-s

PS: Here is the text of what they presented http://www.halliburtoncontracts.com/about/hse.html

Surf the site a bit--I haven't found anything too outlandish, but it is fun nonetheless. The images of the guys in these suits is priceless: http://www.halliburtoncontracts.com/about/history.html

In reference to my own question, here were the responses from the audience (all of which indicate that they completely believe the presentation):

[One audience member asks how the device would fare against terrorism, another whether the array of embedded technologies might make the unit too cumbersome; a third brings up the issue of the unit's cost feasibility. Wolf and Goody assure the audience that these problems and others are being addressed.]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Perelman" <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 8:11 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] SurvivaBall saves managers from annoying climate change