[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu May 11 08:26:06 PDT 2006

--- Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I never get this either. If somebody says they
> understand something,
> then how is it impenetrable?

I was lucky enough to take my first course on Being and Time (as an undergraduate) from Andrew Feenberg, who was excellent at explaining the text. I took another great course on it in grad school in the mid-90s by an Italian physicist from some Ivy League school (he was a visiting prof at the Catholic University of America. I can't remember who had worked at one point with Fermi. For the life of me I can't remember his name. He was a kind of fat guy, wore layers of glasses. He died in the late 90s.

A lot of this "discussion" kind of reminds me of a guy who thinks the Inferno is essentially about a guy who falls into a big hole. Jack and Jill already did the falling down thing, so why should I read this big book written in a funny language with all kinds of weird allusions and stuff it hurts my wee little head to think about. Plus it's fill of all kinds of yucky references to God and stuff and for some reason lots of people of non-Christian religions and people the guy who fell in the hole personally didn't like are there in the hole with him being brutally tortured. EEEEW! No way am I going to read that book, I can learn all about falling down from Jack and Jill. Hell, I can fall down myself.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!