[lbo-talk] Ahmadinejad gossip

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 12 13:31:28 PDT 2006

New York Post [Page Six] - May 11, 2006

THE SUITE LIFE

REMEMBER "the dictator in designer glasses?" That's what we dubbed Nicaraguan strongman Daniel Ortega after the Marxist was caught spending big at Cohen's Fashion Optical during a 1985 visit to New York. Now we hear Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is sleeping in the $3,500-a-night presidential suite at the Hotel Mulia in Jakarta during his three-day visit to Indonesia. The nukes-mad U.S and Israel hater, who drives an old Peugeot back in Tehran, is traveling with an entourage of 100, including 40 bodyguards. He supposedly planned to sleep at the Iranian ambassador's residence, but the Indonesians provided him with the hotel suite. Hamid Shaleki, the press attache at the Iranian embassy, told reporters, "It would not have been a good response for him to have refused."