[lbo-talk] the new Gore

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Fri May 12 13:58:37 PDT 2006

In terms of probabilities, the best outcome imo would be a repeat of the situation we had in the mid 70s - divided government, with Dems decisively in control of the Congress and weak Republican President. Given the emphasis so many Dems have on the deficit it is hard to see any kind of meaningful increase in social spending coming from a united Dem govt, under current leadership (Congress and President) and possibly major cuts, all in the name of deficit reduction.

One must doubt whether any of the three New Dem frontrunners would dare withdraw from Iraq (and wherever else US troops may be occupying).

Gridlock may be the best option on offer, given the present choices.SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Colin Brace" <cb at lim.nl>

.