[lbo-talk] the new Gore

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 12 16:44:23 PDT 2006

Michael Perelman wrote:

> Shouldn't we root for as many DLC types as possible to jump into the fray. Wouldn't that
> open up room for Feingold?

I've been browsing through a mildly entertaining work by a Harvard psychologist. It seems that at the dice table people will bet more on the dice before they are thrown than they will after the dice have been thrown but _before_ the results are known. He also points out that even if the results of a game are unknown people still will not get very excited in watching a video of it the day after. Many other situations in which people's reaction is explicable only in their feeling that their attitude can somehow influence the results.

But say Feingold should be elected. Now we know already that useful political activity will cease from around December 2007 til February or March 2009. The chief result of electing a "left" Democrat would be that this period of inactivity would be extended until late in 2009, while potential activists held their breath waiting (vainly) for the new president to do something useful.

Carrol