[lbo-talk] Ahmadinejad gossip

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sat May 13 06:06:52 PDT 2006

If Pres. Ahmadinejad came to the U.S. and found a relatively inexpensive hotel in Harlem (are there any left?) they would complain that he is a demagogue meddling in U.S. racial politics. If he stayed in a slum in Indonesia the Jakarta rulers (is Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono still prez there?) would scream with fear and anger. They would accuse him of encouraging terrorists. When was the last time someone complained that a U.S. president travels with a huge entourage and spends millions of dollars at hotels?

When a future Isaiah or Savonarola comes along he will hold up Page Six of the New York Post as the finest exemplar of hypocrisy. I am not advocating a Bonfire of Vapidities. Gossip is the only thing that the Post actually does well. And I like the fact that someone decided to use their gossip columns as a blackmail racket. In the U.S. gossip is politics by other means and the fact that the gossip mongers of the NY Post are pay attention to the personal preferences of Ahmadinejad must mean that somebody is actually worried about him.

Yoshie, I really think you should make that phone call to Fidel.