[lbo-talk] Kinky Friedman running!

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Sat May 13 10:33:25 PDT 2006

>>> info at pulpculture.org 05/12/06 3:26 PM >>>
oh, i should just go back to bed and call it a day. that should be 'isn't especially powerful'
>this is great stuff. Thanks. I seem to recall from Deb Rogers' posts
here
>that the position of governor is especially powerful in TX. is that
right? Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org <<<<<>>>>>

correct, tx governor is one of the weakest, principal reason is post-reconstruction state constitution establishing large number of independently-elected statewide officers - attorney general, treasuary secretary, education commissioner, lieutenant gov, etc...

system is called 'plural exective', florida has one too, although secretary of state became gov-appointed position as few years ago...

until recently, rep governors in texas relied upon dem lieutenant governors to get things through dem-controlled state legislature...

weak formal executive authority places emphasis upon what poli-sci richard neustadt calls 'ability to persuade' as chief 'power'... mh

Please Note: Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written communications to or from College employees regarding College business are public records, available to the public and media upon request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.