[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat May 13 21:07:47 PDT 2006

You mean the later W, right? I mean, the early W has that mystical streak *"Wovon mann nicht sprechen kann. . . ."), but the Tractutus is basiclly standard metaphysics and innovative logic. The later W is -- bear in mind I'm no W scholar -- no more subversive of academic endeaevor than the much cheerier pragmatists, whose ideas W in large part rediscovered independently (There is litle reason to think he paid much attention to James (except on psychology and religion, Dewey, or Peirce, or even F.C.S. Schiller).

Btw, there is a current of Heidegger interpretation that also assimilares Heidegger to pragmatism. And certainly Heidegger _intended_ to be subversive academic activity; he wanted to blow up Western philosophy. However, the academic octopus resists subversion.

If it is possible make an academic industry of Nietzsche, who is much less a conventional philosopher than wither W or H, you can do it with anyone -- even with Marx, who wasn't a philosopher at all. Or the pragmatists, who really didn't want anything to with the quest for certainty.

I don't denigrate W's brilliance, any more than I do H's, although I thinking naming candidates for "the greatest X" of a century is sort of pointless; beyond a certain level of genius there's no sensible ranking to be made. (Who's better, Beethoven or Brahms? Robert Johnson or Blind Willie McTell? Charlie Parker or John Coltrane? Michelangelo or Leonardo? Homer or Dante? This is late night college bull session stuff.) I do think both of them are more than a bit gloomy, grim, and Teutonic -- it's clealy not to with being German or Austrian, after all, Nietzsche was German, and he's fun and sparkly.

Jerry, will you stop asking questions that you don't really want answers to? You'd decided that Heidegger is a moron with to say that isn't banal onscurantism and nothing will persuade you otherwise. In the circumstances, the thing to do is to ignore the old Nazis and quietly think less of those of who think he might have something to offer.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1573929107/002-8046937-0870429?v=glance&n=283155>)