[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 09:43:36 PDT 2006

Maybe you are right that Heidegger's ontology is either Hobbit or Hitler, and that he is a shallow thinker whose best ideas, as reported by me, can be found in Hammett, Chandler, and James M. Cain (important influences on me, btw, but I'm a shallow thinker too). Incidentally how that can reported as anything less than a sneer at H's intelligence I do not know, unless prefaced by a remark that you consider hard boiled mystery writers to be brilliant thinkers, but never mind that.What I don't get is your all or nothing attitude, how if we don't swallow H's wicked and shallow ontology we end up with a disconnected bricolage of ideas that can be found in the mystery paperback section of the used book store or can't stand up on their own.

But maybe I am a hopeless bricoleur -- I don't buy Hegel's ontology for two seconds, but I find a lot of value in his insights as disconnected from that drive shaft. If (as some think) the labor theory of value or value theory or whatever you want to call it, or alternatively some sort of stagist forces-of-production-driven theory of history and a commitment to a nonmarket society is required to be a Marxist, then I am no Marxist, but I find a lot of value in Marx. I certainly don't by Nietzsche's petty-bourgeois pseudo=aristocratic posing or what can be superficially read as his praise of violence and his very real misogyny, but I take a lot away from Nietzsche. I think Schmitt has important things to say, some of which may be true; Francis Fukayama too (I share Perry Andersom's high evaluation of him). I'm not a libertarian like Hayek, but his contribution to the calculation debate seems to me decisive. There's huge chunks of Quine, Davidson, and Rorty -- their behaviorist verificationism, their demand that we abandon scientific psychology, their cavalier attitude towards truth, their antirealism (Quine maybe excepted), but they are formative influences on my thought. I think Rawls' basic argument for his two principles of justice is utterly wrongheaded, but he's still one of the half dozen most important political philosophers of the last hundred, maybe 200 years. I could go on. But I'm a pragmatist, for me philosophy is a tool kit; I once found (haven't looked in years) useful tools in Heidegger.

Now you may be right that Heidegger's basic ontology is upgefucked, and certainly explaining why in some detail would be a useful contribution to Heidegger studies and maybe to people who just wanted to get a grip on what the old Nazi was on about. But since you think, without really explaining why, and frankly I'm not that interested in your explanation, that you might as well read Dashiell Hammett, why not let's talk about Hammett, who in my mind was a GI with something to say. I do not understand why you feel compelled to keep harping (really without much argument) on a guy whose ideas you think are trivial, banal, or uninterestingly wicked, or maybe all three. Give it a rest.