[lbo-talk] Weathermen history

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 14:17:02 PDT 2006

Now there was a group that didn't get the point of Subterreanean Homesick Blues. "You don't need a weatherman to kno which way the wind blows."

Here's Bill Ayer's personal version, Fugitive Days:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0142002550/sr=8-1/qid=1147640756/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-9543287-2544746?%5Fencoding=UTF8

See also the film Underground, with Bill Ayers & Kathy Boudin:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000FD9V/ref=pd_bbs_null_1/104-9543287-2544746?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

and another movie:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001LYFKO/ref=pd_sim_b_3/104-9543287-2544746?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

To be taken with a large dose of salt is Todd Gitlin's book -- Gitlin is a ex-SDS leader who has become a moderate Democrat and spends his times dectying the excesses of the 60s -- that that the WU wasn't excessive.

He also talks about the WU in his book The Sixties, as does Kirkpatrick Sale in his SDS (a much better book).

Ron Jacobs errs on the other side in his sympathetic portrayal, the Way The Wind Blew:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1859841678/ref=pd_sim_b_2/104-9543287-2544746?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Not to be missed is Marge Piercy's novel of the 70s years underground in Vida:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671401106/qid=1147641293/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9543287-2544746?s=books&v=glance&n=283155