[lbo-talk] the decline of men, chapter IV

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun May 14 20:17:08 PDT 2006

Good article, but it misses one important aspect of the forces behind the new masculinity, to wit, that most men can no longer support a family. That being the case, it is no longer possible for them to get the adulation and respect that this function used to earn them.

I suspect we'll see two opposing trends in the future: one, an increasing atomization for all the reasons tendered in the article; two, an increasing trend toward non-traditional groupings; not so much through communes, but through semi-familial and friend-based small networks -- because being alone is expensive, inefficient, and depressing. Also because kids grow up better in some kind of group/family.

Joanna