[lbo-talk] Re: Travis McGee [Hard boiled philosophy]

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 10:52:44 PDT 2006

On 5/15/06, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Let me put in a good word for another MacDonald -- John D. , the incredibly
> prolific author of the Travis McGee series, now all but forgotten for some
> strange reason. McGee wasn't quite as hard-boiled as other PIs and was more
> contemporary in social sensitivity.

I think I've read all of these. McGee was "contemporary in social sensitivity," yes, but the era was one dominated by homophobia. If I remember correctly, he and Meyer once ridicule a bad guy because he had "legs like a woman." (a paraphrase. I don't see how this is possible.) Worse, at one point, he picks a fight with a lesbian, simply because she's a lesbian. -- Jim Devine / "the world still seems stuck in greed-lock, ruled by fossilized fools fueled by fossil fuels." -- Swami Beyondananda