[lbo-talk] Doomed: Letters from Third-World Leaders

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon May 15 20:01:34 PDT 2006

Yoshie wrote:

> If Fallujah is any indication, the Iranian people may have to brace
> for what will befall them on November 8, the day after Election Day in
> the United States.

If anyone should be bracing, it's the US people. If the petro-fundies are crazy enough to bomb Tehran, the recoil would be appalling. Within a week, (1) Iraq would explode, (2) Shiite militias would suddenly start packing the latest ground-to-air missiles and doing to US air traffic what the Sunnis are doing to its ground forces, and (3) the EU and East Asia would pull the current account trigger on the US.

Which is why I don't think it will happen. Recently, the Rethug Congress rolled over and slashed the export subsidies the EU has been complaining about for Boeing, Microsoft etc. So much for the mighty Vulcans.

-- DRR