[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 08:34:04 PDT 2006

Hey, Jerry was going to town for several days ridiculing Ravi and Justin (and for a while myself, until I decided it wasn't worthless) for having the temerity to think something other than he does.

I'm a Heidegger scholar by training (specifically the early Heidegger, B&T period and shortly thereafter). I am perfectly willing and would actually rather having a discussion on the subject, as I don't have much of an opportunity to do so. However, I also see assertions about Heidegger's (in reality non-existent) "philosophy of history," gross and seemingly willful misconstruals of central Heideggerian concepts, and so forth as what they are -- uncomprehending bullshit. If anyone is interested in discussing Heidegger's place in Weimar Germany, whether the content of the Daseinsanalytik is thrown out of joint by Heidegger's overreliance on religious texts as anthropological source materials or being an identification of Dasein and the individual Martin Heidegger, the influence of Heidegger on the Origins of Totalitarianism, and so forth, that would be great. I'm not going to waste my time on half-literate undergrad bull-session crap, or lame reworkings of Adorno's vulgar Marxist (and I do mean vulgar) smear job of Kierkegaard.

--- Louis Kontos <lkontos at mac.com> wrote:

> chris doss should probably take some medication for
> whatever
> condition makes him incapable of engaging others
> without calling them
> stupid. the desire to give the 'flat out D' to jerry
> monaco should be
> kept private, like impotence, not shared with
> others. having said
> that, i'd like to know what jerry means when he says
> (1) that what is
> of value in heidegger can be reduced to 'attitudes'
> (since i don't
> see it in h, and nothing jerry has said supports
> that statement), and
> (2) that when actually trying to make sense of a
> writer it is
> necessary to actually ask the simple question "Is
> what the writer
> says true in any way that I can accept?" (since
> anybody can find
> meaning and truth (at least truisms) almost
> anywhere).
> louis

Nu, zayats, pogodi!