[lbo-talk] Orwell on catastrophism

Rob Schaap rschaap at iprimus.com.au
Tue May 16 17:24:29 PDT 2006

G'day Doug,

I think Marx would think this typically British idealist gradualism (didn't he say some such thing about the Brits' take on evolution?). To think back to the short gaps between Princips' shooting of Ferdie and sheer catastrophe, between the 1929 tank and sheer catastrophe, glaznost and bourgeois revolution, Mandela's release and revolution - well, it all looks a little more like Marx's tectonic-plate model of change than Orwell's lawn-growing model. Didn't Lenin tell his Swiss audience in 1916 that he'd never live to see the inevitable Russian revolution - six months before he was General Secretary of a new nation state? Certainly, the timing is beyond calculation, but I maintain we shouldn't be too surprised occasionally to be very surprised. There are tipping points at which stuff tips quickly, that's all. This is probably one reason 'missing link' fossils are so hard to find - they're only there for the geological blink of an eye ere a bunch of relatively stable enviro-compatible organisms arise ... ere they suddenly disappear ...

Cheers,

Rob.