[lbo-talk] jury duty

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 09:18:03 PDT 2006

Well, if elite opinion is represented by legislators and big firm defense lawyers, there is a widespread view is that state court juries are out of control, but then so are state court (elected) judges. Hence the Class Action Fairness Act, intended to get class actions before more civil-defense friendly, impartial (because not elected), and generally more knowledgeable federal judges. I am actually not opposed to this idea, the one piece of Bush II sponsored legislation that I don't think is per se dreadful. The fact is that from what I've seen, elected state court judges are generally not qualified to handle big class actions and are not impartial because they are elected, often with a lot of money froma the local plaintiffs' bar. I don't mind plaintiffs winning, but the fact is that a lot of the class action plaintiffs' bar does not go in for settlements or relief that gives genuine relief to plaintiffs, but does allow them to scarf up big attorney's fees. Also there's the tort reform movement, which can be seen as anti-jury, even if it is a fraud -- the number of "outrageous" tort verdicts that occur is demonstrably tiny and insignificant in the way business operates, and especially in the med mal context tort recovery caps genuinely harm plaintiffs. Federal juries are seen as OK, and from my experience of them this is actually true.