[lbo-talk] "The Authentic"? was ....Grappling....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 17 18:16:17 PDT 2006

Chris Doss wrote:

> Last post for day. Doug's watchin' me! Hmmm, maybe
> he's at jury duty... ;)
>
> Examples of inathenticity (lack of coincidence of
> perceived and actual life-possibilities):
>
> The woman who perennially deceives herself about her
> husband's serial infidelity.
>
> The parents who abuse their children and are then
> surprised when their progeny shun them in old age.
>
> The person who again and again tries to solve their
> peoblems by following the latest fad, without
> addressing the actual reasons for their problems (my
> ex-girlfriend's mom comes to mind).
>
> The soldier who steps on the battlefield absolutely
> sure that he's not going to die, because death is
> "something that happens to other people."

This seems to me a far more severe indictment of Heidegger and of the criterion of "authenticity" than anything I have read in the attacks on him. I really can't have any opinion on Heidegger myself; I don't know enough about him. But to bring out heavy philosophical artillery on these instances trivializes the artillery (i.e., this makes mockery of "authenticity" as a serious perspective on human life).

Carrol